Monday, March 6, 2017

The opposite is also true

The other day I spent some time with a person who just didn’t like anything. I mean anything. Didn’t like getting up, going to bed, walking, riding, etc. She just thought life sucked. It is sad when you meet people like this, but sometimes you just need to leave them alone before they pull you down in the mud with them.



Over the years I’ve learned to try to balance my thinking by going to the opposite thought. Looking around me I realized life has a harmony about it. 

If there is a right, there has to be a left. 

If there is up, there is going to be down.

 Front, back; In, out. You get the picture.

So if I am feeling down about something, I need to balance it with an up thought. For example, I messed up something the other day and proclaimed to myself, “I’m an idiot.” At the moment, the statement had some merit, but it was only half the story. My balance statement was “I’m smart.” 

Both statements are true, so why just dwell in the negative? There are probably a lot of things we have done wrong in our life, so isn’t it refreshing to know we have done so many good things too. The journey is one of balance and harmony, we need to consciously be aware of this interplay in our daily activities.

We have suggested to people a conscious making habit. If the person is right handed, wear a tight rubber band on the left wrist for a day or too. It will be irritating but it will also consciously remind us we have an opposite side that is as functional as our primary side. The same will always be true of our thoughts. If we have a negative thought, a positive is also available, it is simply our choice to use it or ignore it. 

Wanted to share this with you. It is our new video about our internet counseling services. If you want to be part of our weekly blog on Relationships, Romance and Reality, just join with your email in the upper right corner of this blog. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I Like Me

One of the primary requirements of good relationships is the ability to like yourself.  If we are counting on  someone to create our po...